The Advent and Christmas season is celebrated at Westminster in many different ways - through worship, service and fellowship. Please check out the info below and join us in preparing for our newbown King!
What is "Advent"? "Advent means "coming or "arrival. During the season of Advent, we celebrate Christ's coming into the world and watch with expectant hope for his coming again. In its historical origins, the season of Advent was patterned after the season of Lent, a six-week period of penitence and preparation for Easter.
In much the same way, the four weeks of Advent give us an opportunity for communal discernment and personal examination, as the church prepares to celebrate the Nativity of the Lord and looks with hope for Christ's return.
Until the dawning of that Great Day, we watch and wait in the Holy Spirit for Christ's coming into the darkness of our world, lighting candles as a symbol of hope, peace, joy, and love; and remembering the promises of God with prayer.
Special Advent Worship Services 2016
Sunday, December 4: Hanging of the Greens
Many churches hold a service of preparation for Christ's coming, which includes hanging greenery traditionally associated with everlasting life. Greens such as cedar for royalty, fir and pine boughs for everlasting life, holly symbolizing Jesus' death and ivy representing the resurrection are used.
At Westminster this is a multi-generational service, which helps us enter Advent with the true meaning of Christmas before us, rather than the "get it now" push we get in everyday life. This is a wonderful service for all, but especially for those with children and teens.
SUNDAY, December 18: CHRISTMAS CANTATA
Our Annual Christmas Cantata Service will be on Sunday, December 18. A cantata is a choral composition that is based on a sacred text, often from Scripture readings appropriate to a specific church season (such as Easter or Christmas). Cantata comes from the Italian word cantare, which is a verb meaning "to sing." Cantatas find their origin in between 1600 and 1750, and the tradition continues today with contemporary composers.
Saturday, December 24: Christmas Eve Worship
Join us on Saturday, December 24 at 7:00pm for a special candlelight service, live nativity, and luminary display.
Youth who would like to participate in luminary decorations OR in the live nativity, please contact Ms. Erin
Sunday, December 25: Christmas Day Service of LESSONS & CAROLS
We encourage you to extend an invitation to your friends and neighbors to join us on Sunday, December 25 for a worship service of "Lessons and Carols at 11:00 am. This service leads us through the scripture surrounding the birth of Jesus and gives us the chance to truly enjoy the Christmas Carols we all love!
- Operation Christmas Child -- Boxes have been packed and sent for the year - check back in November of 2016!
- WEB "Christmas Stocking for the Homeless with Fayetteville Urban Ministries
WEB is collecting items for "Christmas Stockings for the homeless. Please bring donations by Monday, December 7. A collection box is outside Ms. Erin's office. Items needed: Small (Travel Size) Soap, Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Toothpaste, New White Tube Socks, Combs, Disposable Razors, & Deodorant
- Angel Tree: This year WPC is helping several families through various Fayetteville organizations and 20 foster children. The "angels each have a name and a number on them. Please select an angel (or angels) and write your name next to the number on the list provided near the tree. Purchase and wrap the gift using the angel as the name tag. (Gift receipts for clothes or linens should be attached to the angel if possible.) If you are giving a gift card, it would be a nice touch to add something small like a candy bar, candy cane, or a small trinket for the child to open. (This is not required, just a thought.) Please bring your gift to church with you on December 18th and place it under the Christmas Angel Tree.
- "Magic of Christmas" Children's Christmas Party -- see below) Each child is asked to bring an unwrapped toy that a child their age would like for their birthday. Toys will be given to local social workers to give needy children on their birthdays throughout the year.**ALL are welcome to donate a "birthday gift, too!
- Caroling at the NC Veteran's Nursing Home. The Middle School Youth will be Christmas Caroling at the NC Veteran's Nursing home on Saturday, December 17 at 1:30pm. ALL ages of carolers are welcome to join us -- contact Ms. Erin to come a caroling, too!
- Christmas Cards for Operation Inasmuch. The Middle School youth will be making Christmas Cards during Youth Group on Sunday, December 11. If you would like to come get "crafty" join us then!
Event: Children's Christmas Party
Date: Saturday, December 3
Time: 9am - 1:00pm
Info: MUST Register by November 30!
***PHOTOS from the Party on WPC's Facebook Page!
Event: MS & Senior High Youth Christmas Parties
Date: Sunday, December 6
Info: TBA -- invitations will be mailed to you!
Event: "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever"
Date: Sunday, December 4
Info: WPC will be taking a group to watch our own youth and children in this year's production. Tickets will be $15/each. Contact the church office to reserve your ticket. **If you cannot attend this performs, contact the Cape Fear Valley Regional Theater and request tickets to watch the "Green Cast"
Event: WPC Adult Christmas Party
Date: Saturday, December 10
Info: Tickets are $15/each
Event: WEB Christmas Party, Stocking & Family Potluck
Date: Sunday, December 11
Time: 5:00-7:00pm @ WPC
Info: WEB - Youth 2nd-5th grade; Each family please bring a side dish to share... more info will go home soon!
Event: Christmas Family "WOW" and Children's Christmas Pageant
Date: Wednesday, December 14
Time: 5:00-7:00pm @ WPC
Info: RSVP for meal and pageant by TUESDAY, DECEMBER 13
Event: Keenagers Christmas Party
Date: Tuesday, December 13
Info: Potluck, Bingo, & Gift Exchange ($5 limit)